Tuesday, May 20, 2014

When one door closes, another one opens... The next chapter

My my my where do I start?? I can't lie, this entry is slightly intense for me, lots of emotion...
First let me start off by saying I hate change... I'm not good at it. If it's forced upon me I can usually handle it, but when it comes to me making the change, well, I pretty much suck.  Getting comfortable is a huge weakness of mine. If I'm content I'm good, and I'd rather not branch out of my current comfort zone. This is bad because if I never make changes I'll never progress... I suppose I can't go through my entire life in the exact same place and situation. 

The past 6.5 years I have been in Las Vegas. When I first moved here it was exciting, fun, and a new adventure. Throughout the time Ive been here Ive gone to school, worked a job I enjoy, have been fairly successful, made lasting friendships, and most importantly had my first child. Though I grew up as a child in colorado and spent time in Utah, Vegas has truly become my home, and is what made me the person I am today. My parents hated that I moved here, and it was honestly so random. Basically I came here on what was supposed to be a 4 day vacation but never left lol. I don't regret it at all. 



As most people know, I have traveled a lot in the past few months, mostly to denver. The last time I was there I was presented with a job opportunity. I have spent the past couple weeks battling myself going back and forth on what to do. Do I accept? Or do I turn it down? I mean I'm good right? I'm comfortable where I am, It's so easy for me to just stay where I'm at, keep working my same job, etc. but wait... Is that really what I want to do? Do I want to do this same thing the rest of my life? Is this where I always want to be? ...you see the roller coaster right? So after days of this stress and emotional whirlwind I've decided to make the move to Denver.



I want to explain my thought process, not cause I have to, but because I want to. (Plus it helps me feel I made the right choice in this difficult decision) first, as I stated before... I've been comfortable. In other words I haven't made much progress in my personal life, or my career, over the past 2-3 years. I feel like taking this opportunity and making a huge move like this will help me get somewhere else and further along. Secondly, there are other things in my personal life that I desire. As I've gotten older my priorities have changed. It's no longer about fun, flashy things, etc, lie it once was for me. I'm more interested in family, friendship, love, long term career, Etc. Vegas is a very transient city, hard to meet, get close to, or make real connections with people. Everyone knows Vegas is amazing and fun, but not really a 'family' place, more of an adult place. This brings me to my 3rd and most important reason. I do have a little girl, who soon will start to understand more things, and be more a part of the world, if you will. Being in Vegas I do have a concern on the type of environment she's in, what she'll be exposed to, and what kind of education she will receive. In trying to make my decision, this part was a no brainer to me. I'm aware that a child is raised how you choose to raise them and it's my job as a parent to lead her in the right direction... I just feel it will be easier to do so in a 'less adult' city. 

When it comes to Denver, it's where I grew up. It's where home is. For those who read my previous post about the many sides of me... I feel it's a city that entertains each of those sides. I love seasons and am so excited to have them back. Love the mountains and outdoors. I'm excited for Paris to be able to spend her summers outside, and for her to be around my family. I truly do feel like it will be a good fit for where we're going...



I know this sounds like I'm bashing Vegas and that's not my intention. I truly have loved it here. It's very different from anywhere else, it's fun, it's exciting, it's everything I wanted when I did move here. I guess it's just not the right fit for my current or future plans. To be honest I feel like there's a bigger part of me that doesn't want to go than there is a side that wants to, but at the same time there's a bigger need for me to leave. Wants vs needs I guess... This was an EXTREMELY difficult decision for me to make. I've missed a lot of sleep and shed a lot of tears. It is hard for me because Paris does have family here that we will both miss... But they will always be her family no matter where we are. I will miss my job that I've had for years now. I will miss the true friends I have made, though few, it's hard to say goodbye. What makes it the hardest is all of the amazing memories I have here. I'm strongly attached to them and it's so hard to let go. However it's time for a new adventure, with new friends, new memories, while keeping the ones here close to my heart. I am very terrified to make this leap of faith, I'm very sad, I'm very grateful for my opportunity, and am excited for the road ahead.





So all this being said... Here's to new adventures, new friendships, new memories, and the next chapter in my life. Denver, bring it on... Vegas, I know I'll see you again :)



2 comments:

  1. Awesome! I love it! I'm so glad I got to meet you and share a little part of your Vegas adventure. I'm excited for you and your new adventure with Paris! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was very well written. And your right, you have to do what's best for you and baby Paris. Vegas is a horrible places for children to grow up, and I've been going back and forth about moving home to Texas, because of family, the school system and so on, but timing is everything. Be blessed on your journey, and I prayer all things work out for your good.

    ReplyDelete